The Legend of the Nantucket Lightship
The Nantucket Lightship (WLV612), a floating lighthouse that was anchored out to sea at locations where a lighthouse could not be built, is one of the most famous and unique luxury yachts in the world, combining handcrafted, luxurious accommodations with a legendary maritime historical pedigree.
Built in 1950, by the US Coast Guard in Curtis Bay Maryland, the WLV 612 was the last of 179 US lightships to be decommissioned in 1985, having served first as the San Francisco off the Golden Gate Bridge from 1951-1969, as the Blunts (Reef) off Cape Mendocino 1969-1971, the Portland (Maine) 1971-1975 and finally as the Nantucket 1975-1983. After serving as the last lightship, the WLV 612 served for two more years as a US Coast Guard cutter in the Carribbean and then off Kennebunk Maine as the Vice President Bushes Command and Control Center. After being decommissioned the 612, was owned by an educational non profit and then by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts which declared her surplus property and put her up for sale in 2000.
Kristen and Bill bought the Lightship in 2000n and spent two years refurbishing the ship as a luxury yacht for charters, vacation rentals and events. With Kristen Golden serving as General Contractor in charge of a work crew of almost 20 workers recruited from the New Bedford waterfront the interior stripped to the structural steel and with the replacement of all wiring, plumbing and ductwork, the Nantucket Lightship now offers a luxurious new 4,000 square foot hand crafted plantation hardwood interior with fifteen rooms plus six en suite bathrooms paneled in mahogany, cherry, birch and oak served by eight climate controlled hvac zones.
The Lightship is appointed with fine furnishings, marine oil paintings, oriental carpets and original artifacts. The galley has granite counter tops, premier stainless steel appliances and working stations for up to three chefs. The Lightship sleeps up to 12 guests in six staterooms each with en suite bath and tiled shower. With 2,000 sq. ft. of refurbished deck space, the Lightship offers deck furnishings and hammocks and has a USCG Certificate of Inspection that provides for a dockside event capacity of up to 144 guests.
The Lightship still retains her fog horns, seven ton mushroom anchor, windlass (capstans and chain), original twin crystal beacons and powerful main beacon with 24 locomotive headlights. The Lightship’s tender is a classic 26 foot, deck stored, captain’s gig.